Ashtanga Yoga Napa Valley will be moving on December 4, 2017 into its very own shala in Napa Valley. Please click the image above to visit the website for more information.
What is Mysore Ashtanga?
It is a common misconception that Ashtanga Yoga is only for those who are already physically fit, naturally flexible or very young. The truth is that Ashtanga Yoga is beneficial to anyone and everyone who commits to a regular practice regardless of form, experience, age, or physical capability and is arguably the most approachable method to develop a Yoga practice.
All you need is willingness, patience and dedication.
The Mysore method is the most traditional way to learn the Ashtanga Yoga Series. Students practice in a group setting along side practitioners of all levels of experience, but are taught the method on an individual basis. Starting with the Primary Series every student will begin by learning and practicing Surya Namaskara A followed by Surya Namaskara B ( Sun Salutations .) Once the student has memorized these sequences and is moving fluidly with the breath, one by one postures will be added in the traditional order as the student builds strength, flexibility, stamina, and heightened breath awareness. The postures are arranged in a sequence where one builds on the next preparing the student for deeper and more advanced practice, both physically and mentally. Learning and practicing in this method allows each student to move at a pace appropriate for their own ability, and progression is a result of each individuals commitment to and understanding of their own body and mind in practice.
NEW STUDENTS: To begin a Mysore practice no experience is necessary. Please email Kory directly to discuss a day and time to start. Your first practices may be as short as 30 minutes and as long as 90. A commitment to a minimum of 3 days per week is required to begin a practice. 4 - 6 days is recommended.
VISITING STUDENTS: We warmly welcome traveling practitioners into our Shala. We kindly ask that your first day practicing with us you practice the Primary Series only. Please email Kory to let her know when you will be arriving so she can expect you and let you know any details needed to get into the studio, set up etc. Drop in rate is $19.00
- All students are welcome to join the Mysore Practice. It is required that you commit to a minimum of 3 days per week for the first 30 days of pracitce, moving to a 4-6 day/week practice.
- New students must observe a class for at least 20 minutes to understand the teaching method. Expect your first practices to be anywhere from 30 minutes in length building to 90+
- The Mysore room is silent other than the instruction given to individuals by the teacher. Please do not engage in conversation with other students. If you are in need of assistance or have a question, please make eye contact with the teacher and wait patiently until she approaches you.
- If you have a current Mysore practice at another studio, please only practice the Primary Series your first day with us.
- If you have an injury please let the teacher know before practice; if you sustain an injury during practice let the teacher know immediately.
- Please respect the sequence given to you by your teacher. Do not add or embellish your postures or sequence without instruction from your teacher.
- Personal Hygiene is key in a Mysore room. Please shower before coming to practice and refrain from wearing strongly scented oils, lotions or perfumes. Please DO wear deodorant and make sure your Yoga mat, towels, and clothing are fresh and clean.
- Please refrain from eating before practice. Hydrate thoroughly before practice, but please no water in the studio.
- The room will be warm. Towels are available but it is recommended that you bring your own towel, Mysore Rug or Mat Towel.
- Have fun! Don't take yourself too seriously and know that you will have good days and bad days on the mat. Respect your body and allow it to open naturally.Enjoy the journey into your practice and into yourself.
YOU COME. YOU TAKE PRACTICE. ALL IS COMING